Description of Ambassador Program
The 2022-23 Ambassador application process is closed. Check back in April 2023.
The purpose of The Jackson Symphony League Ambassador Program is to engage students of the members of The Jackson Symphony League in a positive volunteer experience to gain community service hours. This program is open to all high school students in grades 9-12.
Students will be exposed to live, orchestral music that will expand their appreciation and education. Designed to be a continuous four-year program to foster personal growth and confidence, they will develop customer service experience and gain insight into the fast-paced operations of a symphony. Primarily, the students will serve as ushers at all Symphony concerts, but may also serve at the Symphony office, and at League events.
Due to a limited number of positions needed throughout each season, a limited number of Ambassadors are selected each year. Preference in selection is given as follows: returning students, siblings of returning students, and new students. However, priority will be given to all students whose applications are received on or before the application deadline,
Rules for Program
1) Students may enter the program in 9th or 10th grade only.
2) Students must submit an application, a parental consent form, and annual program fee for each year of service. Service is to be continual for 3 or 4 years. Any interruption in service by the student will render the student ineligible for the program for the following year.
3) The parent, grandparent, guardian, or sponsor of an Ambassador shall be an Active member of The Jackson Symphony League and must remain Active during the Ambassador’s service.
[ An Active League member is required to participate on two committees, contribute a minimum of 3 items to the Christmas Sweet Shoppe fundraiser, and attend general meetings when his/her schedule permits. These requirements must be met each year in order for the Ambassador to be considered eligible to receive community service hours.]
4) Both the Ambassador and his/her parent, grandparent, guardian, or sponsor shall participate in the annual orientation and sign-up process meeting prior to the concert season, known as the Ambassador Social.
5) All Ambassadors in grades 9th through 11th shall serve as ushers for a minimum of three symphony concerts, or participate in other League events, during each year of service to remain eligible to receive their community service hours.
6) Only Senior Ambassadors, in 12th grade, shall serve as ushers for a minimum of two symphony concerts, or participate in other League events, during their last year of service.
7) All Senior Ambassadors that have met their requirements for 3 or 4 years of service before the end of December of their last year of service shall receive an invitation to the League’s annual fundraiser, The Crystal Ball. The invitation includes free admission for the Ambassador, dinner and beverages, a biographical note in the program book, and inclusion in the Ambassador presentation.
8) All Ambassadors must follow the established dress code while serving as an usher at the symphony concerts.
The dress code is as follows:
Girls: black dress, or black skirt and white shirt, black shoes
Boys: black pants, white shirt, tie, black shoes
All Ambassadors must wear a lanyard when serving at an event.
9) The parent, grandparent, guardian, or sponsor is responsible for providing transportation for the Ambassador, and for providing insurance and assuming full responsibility for all injuries and expenses that may result while the Ambassador is providing volunteer services or participating in activities for the League or The Jackson Symphony.